Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Why do we have to get OLD?

Sweet Grandpa Larsen is in the hospital. He went in because he was having problems breathing. Lucky me I got to hang with him most of Monday. We talked and shared stories, I read to him out of Grandma's Life Story Book.
He found out today that he has emphysema...yuck! He will probably have to have oxygen at home and the biggest blow to him...NO more driving (he told the doctors that he was still going to drive)! Poor Grandpa! He was so sweet and kind to the dear nurses and Dr.'s Monday. Whatever they asked him (This is the food on the menu for dinner, do you want it or do you want to choose something else? He would answer that is fine. Do you want water or milk? Water is fine!) I think the only thing he said that made us laugh was he flirted with the CUTE nurses and Dr.'s. It was obvious which ones he thought were cute!
I am so sad that he is having troubles breathing. He has been so healthy and strong. I hope this doesn't slow him down physically or with his happy spirit!
Just writing this makes me cry. I love him and don't want him to be in any pain or discomfort. Why do we have to get old?

3 comments:

kristie said...

I know, I hate what happens when we get old. Thanks for being their for him. I wish I could help out more. I did get a valentine sent to him.

linda crandall said...

I know...I hate saying this but getting old SUCKS! Poor grandpa...he doesn't want anything to slow him down!

I had a nice conversation with him on the phone the other day...he was so cute!

Keep us in touch..please!

Kassi Jane said...

poor grandpa! im glad he has so much family near him!