Saturday, August 16, 2008

kid + monkey bars = broken arm

It was Thursday, 8-14-08 at NOON time. I was over at Lisa's (my turn to watch the boys - her turn to work with Oma). I had just feed the boys, we had been to the park earlier, played blocks, getting ready for nap time, and me a little quiet time. I had no sooner hung up with my brother-in-law Richard Webb telling him life was GOOD no worries when my cell phone rang.
It was the school nurse informing me Carly had fallen off the monkey bars and needed to be picked up and taken to get x-rays of her arm.
Well I said I would be right there.
Hung up and thought oh she is probably over-reacting (they tend to do that).
Tried to call Erik, but he would most likely still be sleeping, no answer.
I loaded the boys up knowing I would be right back.
No sippy cups or extra diapers we would be right back.
Erik had woken up and saw that the school had called and so had I, so he called me to see what was up.

Get to the school holding a boy in each hand and as soon as I walked into the office they point to the nurses office.

Carly was screaming, "It hurts, it hurts" as loud as she could. The minute I saw her arm I knew it was broken. "She started crying I want Daddy!" Boy did I fell loved. Called Erik and told him to meet me at the ER (Gilbert Mercy).

As we drove, Carly's poor cry put Cole to sleep and Jase closing his eyes as we entered the parking lot. I drove up to where you drop off and then go park. A lady and nurse came out to help me. Placing Carly in a wheelchair and pushing her inside while I went to park.

Cole was out, fast asleep... I put him over one shoulder and Jase opened his eyes and I carried him in on my other shoulder. Carly was crying "where is my mom?" as I walked in and stopped to give them her info.

They got us right in and into a room. Cole continued to sleep and Jase was an angel. Erik arrived, thank goodness. They immediately tried 4 times to put an IV in to get pain medicine in quickly. NO luck, a vain blew and the rest wouldn't take. They then decided to get her MORPHINE threw a shot in her thigh muscle, not pretty. At that point Carly had heard Erik talking to his parents and started yelling "I want Papa!" She wanted someone to save her.

I took the boys to get a treat and try to find someone to come get them (lucky to have a cell phone). Erik went with her to get x-rays.

Logan was leaving the gym, so he came and got the boys, THANK YOU! He was going to take them to Larissa's and hang with them there. THANK YOU BOTH!

Erik's parents arrived and we both got into the room as the doctor did to review her x-rays and his suggested treatment. She had a very bad break and needed SURGERY to place 3 pins in her arm right above her elbow. A fireman was working and came in to try one last time to get an IV in. He had the magic touch, right inside her elbow.


Poor Carly the MORPHINE was finally starting to work.
She had to be transported by ambulance to Desert Banner, Erik rode with her. The pediatric orthopedic surgeon was there.
Leaving the ER up to the second floor to be prep for surgery.
All ready to go, the surgery should take 1 1/2 hours plus 3o minutes before and after surgery to wake up. Oh wait, I need to go potty. This was too much on her tummy and as soon as we got back from trying to walk to the bathroom she began throwing up. LOVELY, poor girl! I love you Carly, you are so brave!
Carly I am so proud of how BIG you are being. All over, the surgery only took 45 minutes! Everything went GREAT! She had to stay over night so they could watch her closely. She started throwing up, darn it. She was being so brave and trying to be happy. Dad headed home to relieve Lindsey so she could go to bed. Lindsey and Conner were so sweet, they each sent a card down with Papa Larsen for Carly and were very concerned about how she was doing. We are so blessed to have Lindsey who took care of everything at home while we were at the hospital, THANK YOU!

HURRAH, time to go home! Mom is a little nervous. She has only peed 2x and eaten a small bowl of cereal. They just took out her IV and her arm is super sore.

Dad and Cole came and picked us up. All Carly wanted was to go to Lindsey's FIRST volleyball game. That has been her biggest worry the whole time. Unfortunately, Carly was in too much pain and had to have her arm elevated for the next 24 hours there was no way she could go to the volleyball game in 4 1/2 hours. SAD SAD lots of tears!

Will go see the Doctor Monday and get her real cast, maybe she can go to school Tuesday!

11 comments:

Marilyn said...

Oh my Lori-I am traumatized reading this! So glad everything is okay. BTW-It was probably the morphine making poor Carly throw up. Daniel threw up a ton when he was on morphine after his surgeries. I am so glad we have blogs so we can keep up with each other's lives. Take Care of yourself!!!

Lisa said...

I am so glad she is home and feeling much better! I am so sorry she had to go through this! We love her and can't wait to see her!

linda crandall said...

Oh my, what an ordeal! I hope she is feeling better soon...and Go Lindsey...I love it when siblings are able to help!

kristie said...

Man, what a thing for a little girl to have to go through. Oh, and her mom and dad too!! I am glad things went well and that she was able to come home.

Jessica said...

I am glad she is doing better! That whole IV business is no fun. I had to get 2 done because the first one filled my whole arm with fluid...Funny that we were both at Banner Desert on Friday - without even knowing it!

Patrice said...

Whoa! I had no idea what I would be getting coming to this site! I am glad to hear about it all after the fact and can not worry through it.

Kathryn is in volleyball, too. She practices 3 hours a day and in great shape. Will they ever play each other?

Amy said...

That is the saddest story ever. Poor baby! Poor mama! I am glad she is feeling better.

Rydgd said...

Wow...what can I say? That poor baby! Is she feeling better??? How long a healing process will this be? You guys were big time troopers thoughout this ordeal! Tell 'sayman' good job! I'm so proud of Carly for being so brave! She rocks! Hope all is settled down now...and congrats to Lindsey and volleyball---that's so GREAT!
Love y'all!

Allyson said...

Wow, you definately win story of the week, maybe even month. Sweet girl! And you---you are wonder mom. I can see you carrying those boys in and trying to calm Carly all at the same time. Hope the recovery is quick. Can't wait to see the cast color!

The Miner Family said...

That is sooo horrible!!! I feel so bad for Carly. When I was her age I broke my arm on the monkey bars also. And then a year later I broken again doing the same thing. You thought I would of learned my lesson. I hope everything goes okay for your family. Brittany

Leece said...

Carly is the bravest kid ever!