Wednesday, October 15, 2008

No more OMNICEF for Cole!

Poor little Cole man! Monday, Oct. 13 after being at the zoo all day we went to FHE at Gramers and Papa Morris' house. We played, did one minutes, Carly and Lindsey gave the lesson, we loaded in the back of the truck and went and delivered cookies and did the Phantom Ghost to several families and came back for dessert. Cole had started getting a little whinny, but I thought he was just tired from a long day. All of a sudden he stood in one place and just started crying. A hurt cry. I went over and gave him a love and picked him up. He continued to fuss, nothing I could do to console him. Decided it was time to go. Got home getting in the bath tub and saw some bumps on his thighs, gave him some Benedryl. Gave him a breathing treatment, rocked him he feel asleep and put him to bed. He slept all night. Woke up acting normal. Took the kids to the bus, still acted normal. Larissa called and said, "come play and let's do lunch". Went over and let the kids play outside (swings, slide, playhouse, monkey bars, sand toys). Everything was good. Larissa's gets out her nail polish (I love that she keeps my toes pretty) and we are outside enjoying the beautiful weather - I'm getting a pedicure. The kids swing then head inside to watch a movie. It's around 1:30 and Cole starts crying (the painful cry again) and is standing by the TV. We get closer to him and he is just shivering and won't walk. Didn't notice any red bumps today on his thighs. I try to get him to tell me what's wrong. He just cries. Larissa gets him a blanket and we sit down on the couch trying to cuddle him. I think maybe he's tired, but why is he shivering. We go back on forth and I tell Larissa about how he did the same thing last night, but without shivering? We decide to call the Dr. to see if they can squeeze us in. They said bring him right down. Have to wait for 1 hour in the waiting room and then 20 minutes in the room to see the dr. This whole time Cole is wrapped in the blanket and just laying in my arms lethargic and uncomfortable. The nurse comes in and says, "his feet are swollen". (Larissa and I had notice his feet seemed a little swollen, but didn't really think to much about it.) I look down and say, "wow they sure are!" Cole still won't stand up or walk! All he wants is me to hold him and is still shivering. The dr. comes in and checks him out. Asks the typical questions, has he been bit? Do you have scorpions? Is he taking any medicine? I tell him he is still taking the "omnicef" you prescribed for his ears/potential strep. He says, "don't give him anymore". I am at awe, he is having an allergic reaction, but I am not sure to what. They give Cole some benedryl -Cole is starting to get a fever and now his hands and fingers are beginning to swell. He decides to send us to the ER for observation, in case he begins to have breathing problems. Got to the hospital just in time 4:00pm- only had to wait 10 minutes (busy night in the ER after us). Cole's knee's began to swell. The dr. helping us was so kind. He said he was definitely having an allergic reaction, but not the typical symptoms. He ordered a chest x-ray (Cole was a little congested), blood work, wanted some urine and put an IV in. Got into a room and Cole feel asleep. He sleep until 10pm. We waited and waited.

Uncle Logan came by and got us DQ for dinner.
He didn't like that the dr. took off his clothes.
He didn't even mind the IV. He was out! Erik got Conner from cub scouts dropped him off at the Lopez's (Carly was already there). I was suppose to help teach the Wolf den today. Anyway Erik came up to see his little man. Oma and Papa came by on there way home from Utah. Papa and Erik gave him a blessing. Visited for a little while with Oma, Papa and Uncle Logan then sent them on there way (it was getting late and they had all had a long day)! Erik left for work once he realized everything was okay and I said I would be fine (he doesn't have anymore paid time off). Uncle Lance showed up around 10:15. It was fun to visit with him one on one and have his help when I needed to use the ladies room. He was very cute with Cole and waited patiently with me until Cole finally peed (2 IV bags and a sprite later). Around 12:30 am the urine test came back NO extra protein and we got Cole to walk down the hall - now can we go home? Yes, we checked out around 12:50 am and headed for home (I was glad Lance was there to walk us out, thanks bud!) . Lucky for us Conner and Carly stayed the night at the Lopez's, thank you so much you are awesome I didn't even worry. Lindsey stayed at a friend in the ward (Olivia Knapp's), thank you! So, off we went trying to stay awake on the drive home.
Got home and Cole wasn't tired, of course he had slept all night at the hospital. I was ready to jump into bed. He gathered his cars up and wanted to take a bath. Here is was 2am and he is in the bath playing cars. Needless to say, it was a SHORT bath. He began itching in bed and this is what he looked like come morning time.

Welts - all he wanted to do was itch them and cry. He still had the chills and his joints were still swollen a bit.
Poor guy - he wanted Lindsey to hold him and after a few minutes she asked, "is this contagious?" I had to LOL.

Today is Friday and he is finally walking normal and has his appetite back. YEAH!

Oh did I mention Conner has been home now 2 days with 102 fever and a sore throat. I am sure next week will be better.



11 comments:

Patrice said...

Whoa! You seem to be having a few whammies lately! I'm glad all turned out well and it didn't really end up being a life-changing illness. We'll say extra prayers that you can handle it all.

LaSchelle and Kurt said...

Ouch! That is exactly what Courtney's face looked like when she had a reaction!
K seriously------no more "stuff" for you! I think you've had enough for awhile. You really are amazing at how you handle it all and continue to be concerned about everyone else but yourself. You are my hero!

linda crandall said...

Wow!!! I am glad you thought to take him in...who knew? I'm glad everything is ok now :)

kristie said...

When Jacob was a baby, we gave him Zythromax for infection. After the first dose, he acted really lathargic. We thought he was just tired, so we put him to bed. In the morning with breakfast, we gave him his second dose. He started not to look good. I took him down from his chair and noticed his lips were blue and then he passed out. Luckily he came out of it within minutes. My hand was on the phone to call 911. So, we don't give him Zythromax anymore!

Marilyn said...

I think the title of your blog definitely fits your life these days! That allergy stuff is SO scary. I am glad he's ok.

Shelly said...

You poor thing! Let me know if I can ever help with your other kids! Hope everyone is getting better.

Lisa said...

Poor guy, I am glad he is feeling better now.

Amy said...

Lori! I am so sorry - no fun. Is he getting better now that he is off the Omnicef? My baby Sam just had the same thing happen this week. He was so swollen and fever - hives everywhere. The doctors couldn't figure what it was though except that he had apples from an orchard?? SO SCARY!

You are such an awesome mom! I hope everyone gets feeling better.

Allyson said...

Okay Lori, YOU WIN! If there was a contest for crazy, weird, busy, things happening in one family in such a short period of time, YOU WOULD WIN!

Poor guy, he is too little to have to endure that. What a trooper. That Uncle of his, seems like a really great guy. Keep us updated.

Rydgd said...

I thought bad things came in THREES...you are defying the odds, girl! Rydge is allergic to Amoxcicillan - we had the same welts and chills - not as bad as poor baby Cole, tho! Better now?
Loved all the zoo pics - it made me a bit homesick for AZ. How is your thumb???

Mary Ann said...

You guys need a break from the dr... I had a lot to catch up on! OUCH!! on your thumb! oh my gosh.. that was gross. and pool Cole.. glad he is feeling better!